Half-Talent Friday Night
I’m trying to watch old videos
From you tube, a local country
Band who nearly almost made it,
But on the TV a college baseball
Coach has allowed his starter
To hurl over 130 pitches,
An undersized lefty,
Not likely a prospect,
And I am now completely
Distracted from the quality
Harmonies, the rare footage
From the PB Scotts dome
In 1983 Blowing Rock.
No wonder the MLB
Hates college baseball
I’m thinking as the home
Team ties the game
On a ninth inning homer,
Pitch number 138.
After which the “coach”
Finally makes the change.
The band’s lead singer’s
Name is Walkup, and he
By God looked like a prospect
In the hard suffering world
Of music. Two batters
Later the home team
Hits a two-run homer walk off.
In the next video Walkup
Is a white-bearded old man,
Still harmonizing with
What’s left of the crew,
In a much reduced venue.
They play seated on stools,
Cowboy hats replaced by ball caps.
The bar’s beer lights blink behind them.
The audience is sparse as the
Chess pieces left at the end
Of a long game.
No comments:
Post a Comment