Sunday, May 31, 2026

Poet Poem

 First the poet complained

About poems that have birds in them;

His collection contained twenty or so

Such poems, but this did not bother me.

I didn’t want to like him,

But he was good,

The kind of good that cannot be denied,

Unless you’re too stupid to see it,

Which is the most common situation,

And the biggest reason

That being good doesn’t matter.

The fact that he was or is good

Is or was what bothered me.

How dare someone command words

In such a way as to drive them

Before him like a pretty cattle drive.

The pentameter of their dumb hooves.

In his picture he has a pony tail.

I’ll bet this shit came to him

Like Coleridge or Disney

In a coke dream.

I admit that he is good,

Damned good,

But he’s probably

Just another rat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Baseball Pome Process

  Process “What is your writing process? The workshop attendee asked.   The baseball poet is at double play depth Waiting for a hard bouncin...