Monday, October 7, 2024

Monday Poem

 

What you can’t pay back you try

To pay forward; Dad was a

Preacher, a job that gave him

The flex to be these other

Things he wanted, Little League

Baseball coach, backyard catcher,

Set his own hours, always

Found time to work on pitching

With me most afternoons: he

Worked for the Lord even when

He sat on that bean pickin

Stool calling for the slow curve,

Left knuckle down on the seam—

When my time came, I worked with

Runners instead of ballers,

A kid from the church, students,

A nephew, my reluctant

Boys, who never really

Caught the bug the way I did—

Now I’m still waiting to see

What they will do.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Baseball Pome Process

  Process “What is your writing process? The workshop attendee asked.   The baseball poet is at double play depth Waiting for a hard bouncin...