Monday, June 22, 2026

Church Dream Pome

 I dream about the old church

Gone since the late-eighties,

The cost of demolition

Doubled because of asbestos

Ghosts that lived there swept clear

Filled in by bulldozer blades

Cemetery expanded

Death moving in slow rectangles

Rowing clean and straight

A green place I could walk and

Every name a face I knew

The way I know who sat in

What row what women wore hats

I see them walking up front

To receive Holy Communion

The ushers counting them off

In twelves like the apostles

How they stood humbly their hands

Held in the way they were taught

To hold the holy shot glass

To dissolve the tasteless wafer

On their already dry tongues.

I dream of it lately not

The horror of all churches

Their sleepy meanness coiling

As the moon forgets to kill

The night wolves and their curses,

The way the goose walks over

My grave. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Baseball Pome Process

  Process “What is your writing process? The workshop attendee asked.   The baseball poet is at double play depth Waiting for a hard bouncin...