Monday, April 20, 2026

Outtake from AJW

 

 

Confab 

 

The Kid: Why did you do it? 

War: I thought he would get out of the way. I saw him look back at the mitt to see where it was which is a cheat thing anyway, and you heard him in the dugout. I know you did. 

Mom: Give him a break, Dwayne. He’s only twelve. 

War: Thirteen. And he wanted to get hit.  

The Kid: Doesn’t mean you had to. He baited you. And you knew they wanted to fight instead of play. 

Mom: Batters get hit all the time. 

The Kid: But look what happened. You’re already an outsider, War. The one thing I’ve learned is that people will do whatever they can get away with. 

Mom: You boys drink your sweet tea.  

The Kid: Did you see your girlfriend’s family leave? They left like heroes escaping a gangster house. 

War: I was on the ground, tussling with Hatley.  

He began to sob and Mom walked over to hug him. The door slapped shut as The Kid left the house, and there was the burbling sound of his Mustang cranking. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Baseball Pome Process

  Process “What is your writing process? The workshop attendee asked.   The baseball poet is at double play depth Waiting for a hard bouncin...