Saturday, October 19, 2024

Work Poem

 

The Miracle

 

The craziest of the crazies who came

To the learning lab had to take a test

For her freshman English class to prove

Competency. She had negotiated

All the way to the school president

And been granted unlimited time for

The fifty-minute event which for her

Meant ask to stay through the entire night.

And every moment she would be hoping

For a reason to sue us. We referred

To this student as she whose name cannot

Be said because if you spoke of her, she

Would miraculously appear after an

Absence of a year or more, like the time

She asked me to help her write her story

As she had become convinced her memoir

Would be a bestseller—she had this tale

About driving her car down the road when

She was very hungry, pulling up to

A stoplight and seeing a loaf of bread

Lying beside her car—that was as far

As she could get, could draw no conclusions,

Had no idea what it meant except that

The Lord will provide. When she came to take

Her test, she started that same old story.

Maybe she would finish it as after

All, she had till the end of time, rapture

Or apocalypse, to finish the thing.

I checked on her once, by herself in the lab

As the other students did not wish to

Be near or even far as she emitted

The crazy funk of her forty or so

Years. An hour and a half in, she called

An ambulance and fainted when it drove

Up behind the building. She refused to

Leave in it and we refused to allow

Her to resume the test since her bounty

Of time did not include an ambulance

Break. I looked at her paper once she had

Left. “I was driving my car one cold day.

I was very hungry, but when I stopped

At a stoplight, I saw a loaf of bread.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Baseball Pome Process

  Process “What is your writing process? The workshop attendee asked.   The baseball poet is at double play depth Waiting for a hard bouncin...