Sunday, October 20, 2024

Work Poem 2

 

There is a Green Hill Far Away

 

The highlight of my career

Was reading aloud

The Nelson-Denny Reading Test

To a group of five students

Whose test accommodations

Included but were not

Limited to having tests

Read aloud. The first part was

On vocabulary and

I would read a sentence with

A highlighted word and the

Four possible words that defined

It. I would pause while they made

Their guesses. Two students had

Scribes, a couple retired nurses

From the community who

Marked the Scantron sheets for their

Students. Someone usually

Had a question which slowed the

Process to a maddening

Pace. The second part required

The students to listen to

A passage and answer questions

Regarding the content. I

Read, listening to a ticking

Fluorescent light, the student

Who constantly tapped his

Knuckles on the table and

Watched the scribes wince as they blacked

The wrong answer their student

Had chosen. After three hours,

The crucifixion was finished.

I bought Cokes for each of the

Students, and they were happy

As I had ever seen them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Baseball Pome Process

  Process “What is your writing process? The workshop attendee asked.   The baseball poet is at double play depth Waiting for a hard bouncin...