Wednesday, June 12, 2024

Prine Poem

 

Prime Prine

 

There were years I lived on the

Strength of John Prine songs, singing

Grandpa Was a Carpenter

When I was feeling down or

Old People when I needed

To swim in melancholy.

I saw him my sophomore

Year Lenoir-Rhyne College.

He swayed and drank and warbled

Reaching for the mike stand one

Too many times when he near

Fell off the stage and then he

Sang a song I didin’t know

About Jesus walking on

Water into a boat’s path,

And when he finished a young

Man stood up and shouted You’re

A fool, Jesus can do any-

Thing and loud-stomped out the aisle.

Prine had been in the army,

Had been a mail carrier,

He had seen some crazy shit.

He reached for his beer and went

Straight into Illegal Smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Baseball Pome Process

  Process “What is your writing process? The workshop attendee asked.   The baseball poet is at double play depth Waiting for a hard bouncin...