Saturday, December 3, 2022

Larry's Anecdotal Evidence

 

Larry’s Anecdotal Evidence 

 

I had seen it

Fat crawling through pine needles

Where we’d cut a trail

With our dirt bikes

From the bluff

Over through the fire woods

To the big trail we took

Down to the neighbor’s carp pond.

 

I got the machete

From the cabinet

Under the sink.

Why Momma kept it

I’ll never know.

Never saw her get it out

Though Pop mightta known otherwise.

 

I carried it behind me

Across the seat

Wrapped in a kitchen towel.

The fat fucker was there waiting

Coiled next to an empty shine jug

Burton left

Against an oak stump.

 

I parked and stobbed the kickstand

While the copperhead circled

Through the leaves and storm scatter

Raising his head to strike.

He was beautiful

Perfect earth toned.

 

I halved him

With a clean stroke

The machete stuck in the black dirt.

The front half gushing blood like a hose

Struck at my ankle boot

And I lopped the head off.

 

I watched the severed head

The mouth opening and closing

Till I stomped it.

Then I wiped the machete off

Stood it in the dirt

And slung the towel

Out next to the shine jug.

 

I cranked my bike

And revved it 

Till the expansion chamber rattled.

The day was sweet and raw.

I felt good, ready to ride.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Baseball Pome Process

  Process “What is your writing process? The workshop attendee asked.   The baseball poet is at double play depth Waiting for a hard bouncin...