Monday, November 28, 2022

Spitballing in the Writing Center

 

Spitballing in the Writing Center

 

He was an earnest late teenager

With a big friendly grin, dark-haired,

Chubby-faced, a fuzzy half beard,

Ball cap, jeans, a solid looking kid,

Come for help on a project

For this developmental English class.

It was a narrative with pictures,

The aim of which was to show

Appreciation to someone they admired.

I looked at the big old guy in the photos,

His grandpa, a grizzled mountain farmer

In Spruce Pine who loved his family

Though he’d lost his wife, he went on,

Had been a ballplayer and a coach

A long time ago, picture after picture

I saw a face I should recognize till

I finally asked him Who is your grandpa?

Gaylord Perry, he said, flat and

Matter of factly as a McDonald’s order.

300-win club Gaylord Perry.

 Me and Spitter Gaylord Perry.

Named after a friend of his Daddy’s

Who died having his teeth pulled.

Cy Young in both leagues Gaylord Perry.

Campaigned for Jesse Helms Gaylord Perry.

Don’t you think we ought to mention

The baseball a little more, I asked,

He looked at me like I didn’t know nothing,

Shifting in his chair, he said,

That’s just my granddaddy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Baseball Pome Process

  Process “What is your writing process? The workshop attendee asked.   The baseball poet is at double play depth Waiting for a hard bouncin...