Friday, October 14, 2022

Lies I can Respect

 Lies I Can Respect

 

Many times they told you

They had a cup of coffee

A weekend at the Show

In a September ballpark,

The season wound down.

And they had said it

So many times

That they believed it,

Sitting on a high stool

In Buffalo Wild Wings,

The Braves game on an 80 inch.

It was always the sad part

Of the interview for me

Because that’s what the game

Did to the men

Who got close enough.

One man who made his name

Later as a college coach

Wrote eloquently

About how the scorekeeper

Had confused him

With another prospect

And missed his one game

Where he even had two hits.

He was smart enough to know

About Baseball Encyclopedias

And such to get his claim

Out front of their facts.

Retirement home interviews

Are where the stories get big.

The I’m in the Hall of Fame,

Just look me up, guys.

Good men, all of them.

Earnest, telling lies I can respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Baseball Pome Process

  Process “What is your writing process? The workshop attendee asked.   The baseball poet is at double play depth Waiting for a hard bouncin...